Saturday, February 1, 2014

Food & Greed

I've had some time to think over why I'm back to square one with my weight. I admit, the regular cycling to work and back last year was an awesome help however my family went on a crack down and pleaded that I stopped. (((Safety)))
 I now have comfortable morning trips with my love by car to work & arriving always on time. My return is by public transport which is fine.

What has dawned on me about my weight battle of 10-15kg over desirable is GREED.

Google dictionary defines it as an 'intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.'


When I first felt led to this association with food, I would never have considered myself to be greedy....I mean, I don't look overly big just a bit 'puffy' for a petite women, I still wear size S/M, I still wear some clothes from 2007 which fit. Therefore why would I be greedy? 

I then proceeded to some verses like so....

Proverbs 23:6 
Do not eat the food of a stingy man, do not crave his delicacies; 

Jeremiah 6:13 
"From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain; prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit.


( I think of the well known corporate Food companies which  highly sweeten& salt our foods to make them appear delicious! All for money!)

Luke 12:15 
Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."


(I can buy most if not everything I want however have found myself overloading on groceries, buying double throwing it out, buying so many clothes as I saw it looked nice on another person or I like an item - why not buy 4 or more but in different colors...I do that a lot! The saddest part is forgetting that I ordered the item online, bought it a week ago, had it in the food cupboard. To me, that sounds like wasting and over buying...my excuse is usually ' I want it now....' 

James 3:14-16 
14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

This verse in James holds very true in that...with selfish desires, there is also chaos and disorder. Most health gurus would state that we need to plan what we eat and jot down what we intend to do...plan, plan, plan...before that happens, are eating is all over the place...as in, we eat lots of xyz, we eat huge calories of abc eventhough we 'only had a small portion,' etc. To me, this highlights the need to be in control of what we eat and what we put in it...not to allow our selfish desires go on a rampage....

It is my understanding that those of us that do not have medical reasons for being overweight but are 'fat' 'heavy' 'chunky' carrying excessive weight' ' always on a diet which never ends' (fill in your own words) are in sin. We have been blessed with beautiful bodies therefore why aren't we enjoying them and blessing God by taking good upkeep of our bodies?

Exercise 1:
1. Meditate over these verses and ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand anything else which is relevant in your life re Greed.
2. Take a moment to Repent and ask God to forgive you for engaging in greediness
3. It takes 15 mins for your body to feel satiated. Attempt to eat a smaller portion size of each meal of your day and wait until 15 mins is up before eating any more. I hope this will be an eye opener for you, as it has for me...

I hope to share another blog on this matter next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment